How to Get an Immigration Bond Refund

Worried couple examining documents while sitting in front of a laptop

Navigating the immigration process can be overwhelming and stressful. It isn’t easy going through this process, especially because there are many moving parts. If you have paid an immigration bail bond for a loved one, you may be eligible for a refund.

We recognize the importance of your financial resources, and we want to ensure that you receive the refund you are entitled to. This guide will help you through the necessary steps to get a bond refund after immigration proceedings.

Immigration bail bonds involve paying a specific amount of money as a guarantee that your loved one or family member undergoing immigration processes will diligently attend all necessary court hearings. This bond serves as a financial assurance to the government.

Are You Eligible for an Immigration Bond Refund?

Before we go into the steps of getting an immigration bond refund, it’s important to understand if you qualify for one. In most cases, you may be eligible for a refund on your bail bond if:

  1. The person for whom the bond was posted attended all immigration court hearings.
  2. The person in question complied with the final judgment—whether it meant being deported or being granted the right to stay in the United States.
  3. You have received a Notice of Cancellation from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). This means the immigration bond is cancelled.
  4. The immigration case is resolved.

Keep in mind that even if you didn’t receive a Notice of Cancellation, you may still be eligible for an immigration bail refund. You should contact ICE to confirm if your immigration bond has been canceled.

How to Get Immigration Bond Refund

The immigration bond refund process is a fairly straightforward one. These are the steps to get a bond refund from immigration.

Step 1: The Immigration Case Is Closed

Once the immigration case has been resolved successfully, the immigration bond refund process can actually begin. You may be eligible to receive a refund if the person for whom the bond was posted has attended all immigration hearings and followed the court’s decisions.

Step 2: Receive a Notice of Cancellation

Once the case is resolved, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) needs to send a ICE Form I-391, Notice – Immigration Bond Cancelled, to the person who paid the bond. This thoughtful notice serves as confirmation that the individual fulfilled all the conditions of their bond.

Step 3: Submit an Immigration Bond Refund Request

First, you need to submit a completed refund request form (ICE Form I-391), the original bond receipt (ICE Form I-305), and a copy of the bond contract (ICE Form I-352) if you have it.

If you don’t have the original bond receipt (ICE Form I-305), then you will need to complete ICE Form I-395 which is an Affidavit in Lieu of Lost Receipt. This affidavit must be notarized and signed before you submit the documents to the Debt Management Center, Attention: Bond Unit, P.O. Box 5000, Williston, Vermont, 05495-5000

Also, make sure you have the updated versions of Form I-391 or Form I-395. Like all forms from USCIS, these forms have an expiration date.

Step 4: Receipt of Immigration Bond Refund

Once you’ve submitted the refund request, there is typically a waiting period involved. When you meet all the necessary conditions and ensure that your paperwork is in order, the U.S. Department of the Treasury will be pleased to issue a refund check for you. This check will be mailed to the address you provided in your refund request.

How Long Does It Take to Get Immigration Bond Refund?

Woman reviewing documents while using phone and laptop

Receiving an immigration bond refund in the United States can be a lengthy process. You might be wondering where is your immigration bond refund. It’s important to be aware that it may take months after fulfilling the bond conditions and submitting all required paperwork.

Other factors can play a role in the length of time it takes to get an immigration bond refund. This can include the complexity of the case, government processing times, and errors or missing information in paperwork.

How Do I Check the Status of My Immigration Bond Refund?

You can check on the status of your immigration bond refund by contacting the DHS’s Debt Management Center at (802) 288-7600. Should there be any delays or issues in receiving your refund, you should let them know. They will provide the necessary assistance to resolve the matter.

What to Do If I Moved During the Immigration Bond Refund Process?

If you didn’t receive a Notice of Cancellation or if you moved while you were waiting for your immigration bond refund, you need to notify ICE. This can be done by completing and submitting ICE Form I-333 to the local ICE field office.

What If the Immigrant Is No Longer in the U.S.?

ICE needs proof that your loved one has voluntarily departed from the U.S. and returned to their home country before you get a refund. Once you have submitted the necessary documentation to ICE, the steps for retrieving your bond money remain unchanged.

If your loved one has left the United States before the removal proceedings concluded, and without voluntary departure, you can still have a chance to get your immigration bond money back. It is your responsibility to obtain proof confirming that the immigrant is no longer in the United States. This can include:

  • passport stamps
  • boarding pass
  • travel confirmation documents

If possible, your loved one could report directly to the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country to speed up the process.

Get an Immigration Bond in No Time

Liberty Immigration Bonds has a simple process to help you get an immigration bail bond as soon as possible. With our electronic signature forms process, you can avoid unnecessary delays and help get your loved ones the help they need.

Need an immigration bond? Get help within minutes.

Branch Office
  • Open 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. PST